At St Gregory’s Primary School we follow the National Curriculum (2014) and link the specific requirements through a thematic approach. The different areas of the required curriculum are connected using a common theme.
We find that using the thematic approach, improves the quality of teaching and learning in many ways:
- It increases the children’s interest;
- Helps the children to make connections with their work;
- Keeps children engaged;
- Compacts the curriculum;
- Draws on connections from the real world and life experiences;
- Promotes our visits and visitors programme in school.
Over the course of a year five themes are taught each one focussing on a specific subject area. The thematic curriculum is mapped out to ensure progression in learning and is followed by children from Years 1 to Year 6. Children in the Early Years Foundation Stage also follow a thematic curriculum based upon the statutory requirement of the EYFS.
The curriculum is mapped and planned with a clear process of learning in mind. It has specific learning intentions for every subject, ensuring that children receive a broad and balanced curriculum which equips them for the next stage in their learning as well as life in modern Britain.
The school’s curriculum promotes and sustains a thirst for knowledge and understanding and also a love of learning. It is planned and organised on a half termly basis. English and Mathematics are taught on a daily basis for approximately one hour each. Where possible this is through a cross-curricular approach linked to the theme currently being studied by the children. Other curriculum areas such as Art, Science, Technology, Computing, History and Geography are taught through a thematic approach. PE and Religious Education are also taught at least once a week. All children experience Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) through a taught curriculum and through regular planned ‘Circle Time’ sessions.
Our curriculum has been designed to ensure enriched learning but also to help staff make all learning exciting, active and meaningful for children. The curriculum is mapped out by all staff, leaders and senior management.
- Foundation - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5 | Theme 6
- Year 1 - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5
- Year 2 - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5
- Year 3 - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5
- Year 4 - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5
- Year 5 - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5
- Year 6 - Theme 1 | Theme 2 | Theme 3 | Theme 4 | Theme 5
All documents on this page are in pdf format.