Staff, parents and children participate in the prayer life of our school.
At St. Gregory’s children gather together to pray at regular intervals during the school day. We pray to God is as he commanded us to. We follow Jesus’ example and learn from him.
The Gospels are full of references of Jesus demonstrating the power of prayer, for example:
- After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. – Matthew 14:23
- Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, 'Sit here while I go over there and pray.' – Matthew 26:36
- Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. – Mark 1:35
- But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. – Luke 5:16
- One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. – Luke 6:12
- Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. – Luke 18:1
Each week children from all year groups gather together on a Monday morning for our weekly whole school prayer service. Children's own prayers are shared at our prayer service.
During the week children plan, facilitate and lead their class prayer services. All classrooms have prayer areas that include liturgical images, artefacts and prayers. Time and opportunities are given for personal prayer time, especially during Advent and lent.
All assemblies and gatherings in school have a religious and prayer focus for the whole community.
We also work hard to include families in the prayer life of our school. We do this by:
- Encouraging parents and families to attend assemblies, prayer services and collective worship.
- Holding special prayer services every term for parents to attend and join in with (these are always well attended).
- Sending prayer bags home containing liturgical materials for families to share prayer time together.
- Prayer books have been sent home to every family so that families can learn and use common prayers at home.
Our Prayer Books
- Reception Prayer Book
- Key Stage 1 Prayer Book
- Year 3 Prayer Book
- Year 4 Prayer Book
- Year 5 Prayer Book
- Year 6 Prayer Book
All prayer books are pdf files.